Friday, April 27, 2012

Picture Perfect


I got my first camera for Christmas when I was around 13 years old. It was a silver Canon 35mm. I still have that camera, Lisa Frank stickers and all. I even took it with me to work one day and shot some pictures of my coworkers. One day, I’ll get them developed. J The very first picture I took with my camera was of a turtle. Pictures that followed were of sunsets over cotton fields, chickens, birds, and plants. I took a few of people, but nothing made me want to whip out my camera more than a cute little critter. I suppose that’s probably why, when most people’s Facebook page is overrun with pictures of “Girls Night Out!” and hundreds of candid friend shots, my Facebook albums contain hundreds (literally) of photos of my dogs, friends’ dogs, shelter dogs, and so on. There’s also pictures of other animals, but suffice to say dogs are the majority.
 
I’m on my third camera, one I paid for myself. It’s a Kodak. My first digital camera was a Canon PowerShot with all sorts of cool tools to shoot pictures. I’d still use it, but it’s an outdated 5 MP. My Kodak is a lovely 12 MP. I’d really love to have a big fancy camera with lens attachments, aperture/shutter options, and outstanding clarity…but that will have to wait…as will my want for a cello, a better violin, a new bow, and nicer furniture. Yay for dreams!
 
Anyway, back to pictures. When I signed up to volunteer for the shelter, I checked that I would like to spend time with the dogs, take pictures, and do other PR assistance work. I was handed a leash, told where I could be, and that was the end of that. Recently, I found out the shelter actually wants some better pictures of their dogs, so I leaped at the opportunity to get down with the dogs for some photos!
 
Today was my first day taking pictures of these adorable shelter dogs. I went prepared with an extra microchip, a journal to write down the dog’s name and a general description, poop bags to keep the grassy area clean and neat, and a hope for sunshine! Here’s some of the results:











No comments:

Post a Comment