Sunday, September 8, 2013

Please Excuse My American Pit Bull Terrier

Please excuse my dog. He's neutered, and he won't be making any puppies. He's handsome, true, but he's not breeding material. A little heavier and a little taller than standard and sports a diluted coat color and a gay tail, any responsible breeder would tell you he's "pet only" material.

Forgive my dog, he's perfect to me, but he's not going to be perfect for you. He's not shy about letting you know if he likes you or not, and he's sure to despise you if he thinks you'd ever hurt me. If he likes you, he's sure to give you unwanted kisses. He doesn't want to walk on a leash for you if I'm around, and he's not likely to let you in the house if I'm not home. 

Pardon my dog, he's not fond of other dogs. He doesn't want to be your dog's play mate, and he doesn't want to have doggie play dates. He doesn't care if your dog is "friendly," he wants you to keep him at a distance. Thanks. 

Kindly disregard my dog, he's not a meat head or a thick dog. He's lean and fast and not likely to impress anyone with his size. He doesn't look tough and he doesn't look like the majority think a "Pit Bull" should look. 

Please turn a blind eye to my dog, he has a high prey drive and isn't fond of squirrels or your cat in his yard. He really doesn't like your off-leash dog roaming through his yard, either. 

Please just overlook my dog, he's in love with a Boykin Spaniel and two cats and our family. He's a couch potato at times, yet bursting with raw energy and power. He wants to catch, not fetch, and he's afraid of plastic bags.

So just ignore my dog. He doesn't fit the typical "Pit Bull" advocate mold, he's not what's in high demand on the BYB circuit, and he's too plain for the big leagues. He's just a good ol' boy - family dog, die-hard wannabe catch dog, and loyal protector. 

If yours doesn't isn't like mine, that's okay, I'll just excuse your dog for being himself. 

"All I can be is me."

1 comment: